There's more to Art Van than just furniture. We've got decades of experience furnishing homes throughout the Midwest, giving back to our wonderful community, and being the hub for fun happenings in the area. And that's only the beginning.
A Legacy Worth Sharing
Over 60 years ago, Mr. Art Van Elslander opened a furniture store on Gratiot Avenue with one goal in mind: to give great people great furniture at an even greater price. The passion to improve the places our customers spend time with friends and family still burns brightly to this day. Inspiration lives at Art Van Furniture and we go beyond to bring that to your home, every day.
Our legacy of inspiration and helping those in need extends beyond retail as well. From saving the America's Thanksgiving Parade in the 1990s to helping over 450 charities across the Midwest to date, we pride ourselves on giving back to the communities that make Art Van Furniture possible. As Mr. Elslander always said, "Brick and mortar [stores] are just that, but the heartbeat of business is people." Take a stroll down memory lane below:
Art Van Elslander takes on multiple loans, rolling the dice on the future. The result? A 4,000 square foot store.
- By 1964, there are 7 stores and 3 partners
- The first Tent Sale is born from avoiding bankruptcy
Avoiding bankruptcy, Art Van moves his corporate headquarters and warehouse to Warren.
- 15 additional truck doors were installed to meet booming demand
- That growth builds, with new stores in Flint and Lansing
Gary Van Elslander was named company president, keeping things in the family.
- Mattress Express debuts, guaranteeing next-day delivery
- The AVF card is introduced, giving customers more finance options
Mr. Van saves America's Thanksgiving Parade with a historic check of $250,000.
- Kids were crowned royalty with the Kid's Castle play area
- 0% financing was introduced, allowing more affordability
Mr. Van gets inducted into the American Furniture Hall of Fame.
- Automation takes over (some of) the warehouse duties
- Art Van gives sleep its own stage with PureSleep Stores
- Art Van Charity Challenge is created, raising thousands of dollars
Art Van reaches new heights with T.H. Lee Partners acquisition & Mr. Van's advisory.
- A website rebrand happens, aimed at staying current
- The Power of 3 comes with purchase of Levin and Wolf Furniture
- 162 new stores expand across Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio
- Scott Shuptrine Interiors and a Franchise Division are born
- Art Van Elslander, who started it all, passes away on February 12, 2018
Keeping Our Community Strong
We love where we live. Art Van Furniture and Mattress has sponsored scores of charitable events, and continues to provide warm, inviting spaces for the community to come together. We consider anyone that comes through our doors or joins our events as family.
We don't take this commitment lightly either. Millions of dollars have been invested into uplifting our neighborhoods. You can count on Art Van being a positive force in our communities for the next 60 years and beyond.
Inspiration Lives Here
It's more than a slogan, it's a philosophy. We set trends and our buying teams travel the world in search of fresh, exciting styles that you'll love. Our commitment to curation helps us see a bit of the future so we're ahead of every season before it arrives.
Let us be your ally when it comes to switching up your home décor, accenting your favorite rooms or simply sprucing up a special space. We're here to enhance your style in every way.
The Art Van Warehouse is 41 acres, enough to fit 50 football fields.
Our drivers make nearly half-a-million deliveries per year
In 2018, we recycled 2,000 tons of cardboard, 240 tons of plastic & 120 tons of Styrofoam